Just a quick post to mention this upcoming publication, Collecting the contemporary: recording the present for the future, by MuseumsEtc, which features a chapter by my entitled ‘Let’s Talk About Sexuality: Capturing, Collecting and Disseminating LGBTQ Oral His- and Her-stories’, in which I ruminate the challenges specific to the gathering and displaying of queer oral histories in museum spaces. The book is edited by Owain Rhys and Zelda Baveystock.
Collecting the contemporary aims to address (amongst others) these questions:
- How best should we engage with contemporary collecting?
- Should we collect to fill gaps in the existing collection?
- How best to record modern urban life?
- How might we best engage with minority communities?
- Should we aim to link past and present?
There is a special pre-publication offer of 15% discount if you order it now, so request your librarians to buy it!